Announcing the NLC
DreamHack and Riot Games have entered an agreement to launch the Northern League of Legends Championship (NLC), a new Northern European league to be run by DreamHack.
- 12 initially selected teams
- 1 million SEK awarded per split to teams and players
- League play featuring two divisions of 6 competing over 7 weeks to be seeded into a playoff bracket
- The top 4 teams of the playoff bracket will compete at a live event (DreamHack Summer 2020)
- The bottom 2 teams of the NLC will need to compete to retain their slots
- FNATIC Rising and BT Excel are permanent members in the NLC due to their status in LEC
7 weeks of League Play leading into a live event
The inaugural season of NLC is scheduled to start in June 2020, and will be played online with the season finals planned to be held August 7-8 at DreamHack Summer in Jönköping, Sweden.
12 of Northern Europe’s best teams
Participating teams include ENCE, Nordavind, Singularity, Barrage, BT Excel, Fnatic Rising and more, competing for a minimum of 1 million SEK per season being awarded to teams and players.
Road to the NLC
- There will be 5 National Leagues, the Telia Esports Series will host leagues in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway, the UKLC will host leagues in the UK and Ireland.
- Each league will feature eight teams and regularly broadcasting / coverage in local languages.
- The top two teams from each league will advance to the Telia Masters to try to advance to the NLC.
There is now a much clearer path from the amateur leagues through to professional level and we’re excited to see what the talent here can do on the big stage.
Mo Fadl, Head of Publishing for Riot Games in the Nordics
The new competitive ecosystem will allow highly-talented, competitive players from across the region to flourish on home soil and create a pathway for amateur players to join the professional ranks. It will also give League of Legends fans an opportunity to get behind the best players the region has to offer, engaging with local events and broadcasts.